Friday, June 24, 2011

The road to Thailand

  At this point I may diverge from the Rubber  story's and inform anyone who may accurately read this, a little more about me. My father had contracted the traveling bug at an early age, when he ran away to sea as a merchant seaman. Then came the army and postings around Southeast Asia.   
      After I was born in the UK he couldn't wait to leave the country, so at the tender age of 5 weeks we were bound for the wilds of British Columbia, Canada. Over the coming years we drifted east and when he ran out of land east, it was  time to give the UK another try. On the way across Canada I had acquired 3 brothers and one sister.
     The UK was not what he hoped it would have become, so off we went to the sunny shores of Australia, where another sister was born. I think my father would have moved again, but the thought of shifting 6 kids was just too much.
      Now unlike my brothers and sisters, I had inherited the travel bug. This would see me living in different countries and jobs for much of my adult life. A thing I learnt early was that I did not like working. This lead me into Government employment, often in one type of uniform or other. It paid the bills, but after a time I became bored and the need to move on to newer things would overcome me and there was so many things to do and see. I knew that one life time would never be enough.
     I have seen and done things that most only dream, chances missed, loves lost, but I would do it all again. Moments that can not be lost in time like tears in the rain. [Pardon my miss quote from Blade runner.]
     At the rip old age of 44 I was in another uniform, but the bug was at me again. I knew that at that age good jobs were not easy to find. So I sold my house and quit the job, knowing that the Prison Service allowed you to return  within 2 years. Loss of rank of course, but I really didn't care, I wanted one more adventure in my life, before I was too old to climb mountains enjoy drinking beer on a beach and see things, not just on the TV. That is how I found myself in Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment