Sunday, June 19, 2011

My name is James [ Jim ] Collister and this is my tale of life in a small village in the southeast corner of Issan Thailand. I came to be here as most westerners do by virtue of a girl. My wife had lived most of her life in a city near Bangkok, she had been sent there at the age of 9 years old to live with her Aunt and attend school. I met her in her last year of University, where she was completing her teaching degree. A whirlwind romance ensued and we were married and ran of to live in Australia. Much to the disappointment of her Mother and Father. After much pleading etc we decided to return to Thailand and have a Buddhist wedding in the village.
We arrived by plane in the City of Ubon Ratchitani and rented a car and driver for the 7 hour drive over pot holes, dirt roads and goat tracks. As we drove the clock turned back until we arrived somewhere in the 18 th century in the village of Ban Sang Hom or the village of the sweet smelling well water. I could see that my wife was having second thoughts about the whole thing The village was nothing but a couple of concrete roads and dirt tracks with rough wood stilt huts, no running water and only a few huts had electricity, It was hot and the air was full of bugs, then add to that few people spoke Thai, this is Lao country and the wife didn't speak Lao, but we were here and the job needed done so all could regain face.
The wedding took place, as can be seen on my Youtube channel and my wife Bell , was happy to leave and return to eatable food, running water and hot showers. I on the other hand had been sitting in the night drinking beer and listening to the sounds of the jungle. I had found my Shangra La, this was were I wanted to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment