Sunday, June 26, 2011

Land, partys and diead guys

 Things had been going along as well as could be expected. 30 Rai of trees had been planted, without the use of shovels or spades and we had bought another 20 plus Rai in 2 blocks. You never new how big a block of land was for sure, one would just walk around the land and have a guesstimate. For the buyer it was always smaller , to the seller larger.
      Word had got around that a white man from the south was interested in land. The father in-law came to me  with a man who had 50 Rai for sale and he wanted to sell fast. At that time and still to this day village law is enforced. The laws of Thailand take 2nd. place to the local  ways. Seems this guy had done something wrong and had been judged. As punishment he had been expelled from his area. You may think, how could that be enforced by the locals. I will tell you if you are told to leave you leave, or you may go for a one way walk into the jungle.  It is no use running to the police as there is no uniformed police presents out here to this day. The only time you will see police is when they are accompanied by border/ forestry soldiers. Needless to say that most of the police and soldiers are locals as well.
      Next day we set off in the 2 village pick up trucks, loaded with beer, food and people, to see the land and have a picnic. After driving over dirt roads for half an hour , we stopped by a small river surrounded by jungle. Everyone out, beer and food collected and we cross the  river and begin to walk further into the bush.  When I was near collapse from the heat and the weight of the ice box full of beer we arrived.
      The seller lived in a rough stilt house, with 3 walls a roof of rusty old sheet metal and plastic. He lived there with his wife and 2 children. I had thought that some of the huts in the village were basic to say the least, but this place would not have even qualified as a hut. Much of the land had been cleared and 1000s of Makkua Poung  bushes planted. There were 2 small streams, it was perfect for rubber. The only problem was access, but was assured there was a dirt track in, it was just that the Headman had not wanted to bang his newish car up on it. The deal was done, a price agreed, all were happy.
      That was it, the tree planting season had finished, the amount of land that I deemed to be enough to supply a reasonable living had been purchased and the bank account was not looking as health as a few months earlier. It was time to party.
      Before I get to the party, it seems that the wifes Uncle had died 2 weeks prior. I was told that a tree fell on him. Many years later I found out that was not the truth. He had been killed in some form of illegal activity in Bangkok. What activity I have never been told.
      All the workers, neighbors, Uncles, Aunts and people of some importance were invited to the party. The Lao Kao, 100 pipers and beer flowed. A small pig had been dispatched and was used to give burnt offerings to the gods on my BBQ. People came and went, other came and passed out. My memory of the night is some what dim, but I do recall dancing around the floor with a large and hopefully dead snake around my neck.
      The next day and I am not feeling 100%, the daughter of the dead Uncle comes around and starts speaking to the wife. I could sense something was wrong and asked the wife is there a problem. She replied that the girls father was not happy as I had not given him any whiskey or pig last night. I said I thought he was dead. Yes said the wife, but he came to the party. I didn't know if she was pulling my leg or not and said I don't see dead people. The Mother and Father in-law were sitting at the table at the time , They all looked at me as if I had some sort of visual impairment, how could I have missed him, he was the only dead guy there. To this day whenever we have a party I ask the wife if any dead ones are coming. Then  I can leave a drink and some food for them.
    
      

     

No comments:

Post a Comment