Sunday, July 10, 2011

Awards and Blessings

 There was nothing I could do, but except that I was stuck in jail, like it or lump it. Now there are many bitter and twisted public servants who know, what they do today, will be the same tomorrow and the next day for ever more. They are not going up, but just filling in the days. Some go into complaining mode, others like me just drift into the shadows, do their jobs, nothing more or less than needed, go home and pick up their pay. Strangely enough I must have seemed very happy with the place. I have always been easy going and a fairly cheerful type of guy.
      The powers that be had set up one of these staff awards, the 12 virtues of Christmas or some such crap. One morning in front of about 10 other staff a Uniformed raking shrink comes over to me, to say that I had been nominated for a staff morale award. The smiling idiot award or something. I looked at her in amazement and said, if I am  the best you have, , you have one hell of a staff morale problem. Needless to say I never received an award and my name was removed from the nominations list.
      The days went by and the new baby was born, Alexandra. Rubber prices where on the up, there seemed to be light at the end of the tunnel. After Alex was 6 months old and had had her vaccinations I concocted a story of village Christenings, Buddha monks and introductions to jungle spirits., I was allowed 3 months leave. With the now 2 baby family assistance , we would be fine for money. We were on the plane back once more.



      Though happy to be back in the village, I was less than happy with the state of the factory. The weeds had taken over, the road side signs were gone, the gates were locked and the radio commercial had been canceled. This is where village, Issan logic and western logic are on 2 different plans. To the Thais why would you spend 50 Baht a year for each road side sign when they could be used for roofing on the plantation huts, what was the point of a radio commercial when the gates were locked and why cut the grass if there was on one there. No one was selling rubber to the factory, so why bother. I tried to explain that no one was selling rubber to us, as the factory looked abandoned and there was no one there to buy, if anyone did come, but to no avail. We would just have to start again, another party to re open.


      A party was arranged, the grass cut, some fresh paint and general tidy up done. This was to be ,not only a new opening of the factory, but a blessing from the monks for the kids. Now in Buddha monk terms 7 monks is good, 9 is better, but for a heathen white man that would be 15. Not only 15 monks, but a afternoon session and the next morning another blessing. The women arrived and a mountain of food was prepared, the younger lads drank Lao Khow [rice whiskey] and I drank beer and Johnny Walker. The monks arrived, set up in the office and the blessings began, By now the beer and whiskey was starting to have an effect, but I managed to do my bit of crawling around the office putting envelopes with 500 Baht into each monks bowl, then getting my blessing. After much chanting and sprinkling of water the monks packed up and left. More booze flowed and food was eaten. Night came and the guests began to leave. By now I am well and truly pissed, but through the blur of alcohol, I noted that the guests were taking all the food home. I said to the wife they are stealing all the food. No she said, that is how it is done, all the food is given to the guests to take home. We had a young cow butchered for this and I hadn't even got a hamburger out of it. Those with more stamina stayed, drinking and playing cards, I returned to the beer and whiskey.
      Next morning I awoke on the bench seat of the pick up truck, to the sound of the monks chanting. The women were preparing more food, the card players were still playing and drinking. Looking at all the empty beer bottles and half empty whiskey bottle I decided that I had had enough blessing for this life and cracked  another beer. The monks left, the Lao Khow began to flow and food was eaten. By 10 am it was all over and the guests left with all the food and I started on the whiskey.


      We were back, open for business, but business was slow and I didn't have time on my side, we would be on the plane back within a month. We opened some of our bigger trees to see how they would go and make some money to help with the fertilzer bill. That was about all I could do this trip. Before I knew it I was walking into the prison once more, but the end was insight.
     .

No comments:

Post a Comment